Student Externship Program
Learning institutions such as universities, colleges, technical schools, and local schools participating in Regional Occupational Programs that have students in programs related to a medical field often seek placement of their students at UC Davis Medical Center or within the UC Davis Health System for hands-on training through our Student Externship Program. This program is administered by Training and Development. The UC Davis Health System encourages learning institutions to participate in this program and welcomes student externs as they could become skilled potential candidates for vacant positions.
Learning Institution - Requirements for Participation
1. Complete a Request for Affiliation Agreement Form and send it to Training and Development at the address shown below for review and approval.
UC Davis Health System
Training & Development Department
2730 Stockton Blvd.
Sacramento, CA 95817
Note: The affiliation agreement/contract approval process could take up to 3 months, so please plan accordingly.
2. Review and sign the Affiliation Contract that will be provided by the UC Davis Health System Contracts Office.
3. After the Affiliation Contract is implemented, contact the Training and Development Student Externship Program Coordinator at (916) 734-2676 for information related to required clearances for student externs.
4. Print all of the forms at the links below and provide a copy of each form for each student.
5. Meet with your students to inform them of all requirements and answer their questions. All students must meet all medical clearance requirements.
6. Have your students complete the Emergency Contact Form, and complete and sign the Confidentiality Agreement and the Background Check Authorization Form (for students 18 years of age or older). Training & Development will have a background check completed for each student who meets minimum age requirements.
7. Have your students complete the Privacy and Security training module required by Health System policy at the link below. Each student must print the Certificate of Completion which must be provided with documentation sent to Training and Development.
Privacy & Security Training (via the UC Learning Center)
8. Assist your students in finding placement for externship hours in UC Davis Health System departments.
Note: Training and Development does not contact UC Davis Health System departments to initiate placement of student externs. It is the responsibility of the school coordinator and/or student extern to find a department that is able to accept each student. The school coordinator should discuss this process with their students. Students should not visit a UC Davis Health System department without first contacting that department by phone to set up an appointment.
Note: Training and Development will not process a request for student externship if the paperwork submitted is incomplete. Please ensure that all required paperwork/forms are provided, including proof of having met all medical requirements, by using the checklist we provide. If a document is missing from a student s packet, Training and Development will assume the missing document is forthcoming and the student will remain on hold status.
Note: A student cannot begin their externship until they have been cleared to do so by the Training and Development office.
Student Extern Requirements for Participation
Your school must have an affiliation agreement/contract in place with the UC Davis Health System before you complete the following steps.
1. Meet with your school coordinator to discuss the student externship process. Your school coordinator should provide you with information on each of the following items. If any of these items are not covered, please ask your school coordinator about them.
- Background checks for students 18 years of age or older
- Medical clearance requirements
- Proper dress and appearance
- Conduct and professionalism
- Patient confidentiality
- Picture ID requirement
- Privacy & Security training required by the Health System
- Number of externship hours in which you must complete
- Finding a UC Davis Health System department that will accept you for your externship
Note: Training and Development does not contact UC Davis Health System departments to initiate placement of student externs. It is the responsibility of the school coordinator and/or student extern to find a department that is able to accept each student. Students should discuss this process with their school coordinator. Students should not visit a UC Davis Health System department without first contacting that department by phone to set up an appointment.
2. Complete the Checklist provided by Training & Development, the Emergency Contact Form, and complete and sign the Confidentiality Agreement and the Background Check Authorization Form (for students 18 years of age or older). All should be provided by your school coordinator.
3. Complete the Privacy & Security Training module (via UC Learning Center) and print the Certificate of Completion. This Certificate of Completion must be given to your school coordinator who will forward it to Training and Development.
4. Provide proof of having met all medical clearance requirements to your school coordinator. Check with your school coordinator if you are unsure of what medical requirements must be met.
5. Return all completed forms to your school coordinator who will forward them to Training and Development.
Once all clearance requirements have been met, you will be contacted by Training and Development to make arrangements for you to attend a brief orientation, obtain a picture ID, visit Parking Services, and attend a safety training session.
Note: You cannot begin your externship until after you have been cleared by the Training and Development office.