Job Accommodation and the Interactive Process: The Employee's Role

Summary:  Learn about your role as an employee in arranging for job accommodation if you are disabled or become disabled.

What to do How to do it
1. Request job accommodation. a.  Inform your supervisor of the difficulties in performing your job.

b.  Request job accommodation (verbally, in writing, or via a licensed treatment provider's note).

c.  Provide your supervisor with a written licensed treatment provider's statement describing your job-related limitations.
2.  Contact an expert.

a. Contact UC Davis Health Disability Management Services, (916) 734-6367 or (916) 734-0292, to:

  • Receive guidance on the job accommodation process
  • Get assistance from a Rehabilitation Counselor
3.  Participate in interactive process meetings with your supervisor and/or Rehabilitation Counselor.

a. Compare your job-related restrictions with your job functions.

  • Consider whether your limitations are temporary or permanent, as indicated by your licensed treatment provider.

b.  Identify reasonable accommodations to perform your functions.

c.   Discuss special job search assistance if you cannot perform your job functions.

4.  Learn about the selected reasonable job accommodation.

a.  Receive and understand information about your job accommodation.

b.  Accept and sign the Interactive Process form, or Temporary Accommodation form provided by the department or UCDH Disability Management Services.

5.  Begin your job accommodation.

a.  Follow up regularly with your supervisor and counselor regarding your satisfaction.

b.  If your accommodation is unsuccessful, continue the interactive process to evaluate other accommodations.


Need assistance? UC Davis Health Disability Management Services, Contact Ann Preszler 916-734-0292, or Shabana Anees 916-734-6367.