Life in Sacramento and beyond
Sacramento: Where diversity meets the action
As California's capital city, Sacramento is on the move, serving up a diverse menu of outdoor activities, cultural events and nightlife. The city is racially and ethnically diverse, considered by Time Magazine and the Civil Rights Project as the most racially integrated major city in America. In addition to the obvious benefits of a rapidly expanding and diverse patient population, Sacramento is a very livable city. The standard of living is higher and the cost of living is lower when compared to California's other heavily populated regions — the Los Angeles area or the San Francisco Bay area.
Sacramento is surrounded by some of California's most popular attractions, all within easy driving distance: Lake Tahoe and the Sierra Nevada mountain range, Yosemite National Park, San Francisco and the Carmel/Monterey Peninsula, Mendocino and North Coast shores, and the "wine country" of the Napa and Sonoma valleys and Sierra Foothills.
Some Useful Links On the Surrounding Regions:
Sports enthusiasts will also find Sacramento's climate and opportunities ideal. The American River Bike Trail follows 30 miles of riverfront, from downtown's historic "Old Sacramento" to the Folsom Lake state recreation area. Horseback riding, golf and tennis are year-round activities. Areas for skiing, hiking, camping, rock climbing, mountain biking, fishing, boating and rafting are also readily accessible. Additionally, the Sacramento and surrounding areas offer a variety of professional and semi-professional sporting events throughout year, from basketball, to auto racing to tennis.
Links for Ongoing Sporting Events:
- Rivercats - Sacramento's AAA, minor league baseball team
- Sacramento Kings - NBA Basketball
- Sacramento Monarchs - WNBA Basketball
- Infineon Raceway - Nascar racing in nearby, Sonoma
- Sacramento Capitals - Sacramento's World TeamTennis Pro Team
Cultural and entertainment hub
With professional ballet, opera and theatre companies, along with numerous theaters, galleries and museums, Sacramento offers plenty of entertainment. In the evenings, you'll find everything from quiet jazz, to DJs spinning hip-hop or bands belting out the blues, to salsa dancers stirring it up in the clubs. What's more, on the second Saturday of each month, midtown and downtown Sacramento neighborhoods come alive during the2nd Saturday Artwalk, a streetfair and artwalk which features locally produced arts and crafts as well as music by a variety of local musicians and bands. Midtown and downtown Sacramento also offer a variety of dining and shopping options at its many restuarants, bistros, shops and boutiques.
Local Arts Organizations Links:
- Crocker Art Museum
- Sacramento Museum Information
- Sacramento Music Circus and California Musical Theatre
- UC Davis Mondavi Center
- Sacramento Ballet
- Sacramento Theatre Company
Local Dining and Shopping Links:
Other Sacramento Entertainment Information:
- Sacramento Visitors' Bureau
- Sacramento Bee - Sacramento's only major newspaper, has lots of online classifieds and news
- Sacramento News and Review
Life in Sacramento
California's state capital has a lot to offer with its own unique charm. Quite peaceful and not too crowded, it is a seemingly mundane town that is actually not mundane at all. Once you arrive in Sacramento, you might find yourself having a little trouble deciding what to do and see first, as there are so many exciting activities to participate in, a lot of fantastic sites to visit and a great variety of superb restaurants to dine at. Here are few links where you can learn about Sacramento lifestyle, events, restaurants or local news:
- Life in Sacramento - A non-commercial website that focuses primarily on the downtown area
- Sacramento365 - The Year-Round source for Sacramento events
- Sacramento Metro Chamber - A directory with over 2,500 of the region's leading firms
- Sacramento Midtown - Midtown's own website - a comprehensive business directory of local goods and services
- Sactosaurus - A guide to all things Sacramento