Plan ahead! Expect major traffic delays from late April to late June
Big highway project will affect travel to UC Davis hospital, clinics
Patients and visitors should consider adding as much as an hour of extra travel time to reach appointments at UC Davis Medical Center and other UC Davis health facilities near central Sacramento from late April to late June.
A major Caltrans highway construction project at the center of the region's road system is expected to cause potentially long and frustrating road delays during that time. Caltrans officials have estimated delays of at least one hour will be possible.
The “Fix 50” project will involve significant lane and ramp closures, detours and alternate routes, and will impact traffic on multiple freeways.
Delays will affect both patients, visitors and employees of UC Davis Medical Center and surrounding health clinic locations such as UC Davis Comprehensive Cancer Center and the Lawrence J. Ellison Ambulatory Care Center.
Longer travel times to UC Davis Medical Group clinics in midtown Sacramento and other areas of the city are also likely.
Things you can do
- Please budget extra time to reach Sacramento appointments scheduled from late April to late June.
- Before you go, check the Caltrans Fix 50 website at http://fix50.com for project updates, detours, maps and live camera views to help plan your route.
- Unsure if your appointment will be affected? Review a list of UC Davis health facilities that will be most impacted by the Fix 50 project due to geography.
- If you have a health condition that makes it difficult for you to drive in heavy or stop-and-go traffic, you may want to ask a friend or family member to drive you.
- If possible, consider travel via alternate transportation such as light rail, ride sharing or bicycle. For light rail, UC Davis Medical Center has a shuttle, the Green Line, that cycles between the hospital, the Lawrence J. Ellison Ambulatory Care Center, a nearby light rail station and a nearby bus stop during specific daytime hours. Hours for this shuttle will be extended during Fix 50.
- Prepare mentally for delays. Consider using breathing exercises and other stress-reduction techniques, especially if you have health problems made worse by stress.
- Sign up for project alerts from Caltrans.
About the delays
The “Fix 50” project will repair part of the extra-wide elevated section of Highway 50 between 18th and 24th streets south of midtown Sacramento. The stretch, near the Tower Theater, is commonly known as the “W/X Freeway" because it is bracketed by W and X streets. It is considered the hub of the region's freeway system.
Caltrans expects significant traffic delays in the construction area itself as well as on other freeways that come together near the construction site, such as:
- Highway 50
- Highway 99
- Interstate 5
- Business 80
Surface streets, including those around UC Davis Medical Center, will also be impacted.
- Caltrans Fix 50 website (official project page)
- Sacramento Bee Fix 50 resource page
- City of Sacramento Fix 50 guide
- 511: Multi-language travel info
- Regional Transit (light rail, buses)
- Medical Center-to-transit shuttle (extended hours during Fix 50)
- UC Davis Health System Parking & Transportation Services page, including shuttle maps
- Map showing hospital in relation to construction site (see Fix50.com for detours/alternate routes)
- Dateline UC Davis Fix 50 resource page
- Stress-reduction tips for driving