Patient-centered health care
Learn how our clinic works
Here's more about what to expect at the Family Medicine Clinic.
Your medical home
Our clinic is operated and formally recognized as a patient-centered medical home. In the health-care field, this is a model that focuses on delivering your care through physician-led interdisciplinary teams, using advanced technology and incorporating the latest evidence from research conducted at UC Davis and across the field.
For our patients, this approach to health care means:
- an emphasis on strong partnerships and communication between physicians and patients
- a focus on wellness and preventing disease
- close coordination of your care, referrals and records
- access to helpful tools and resources that make it easier for you to be healthy.
Our dedicated and compassionate care team includes physicians, nurses, physician assistants, medical assistants and other support staff.
Your care team
UC Davis is a center for learning and academics where we take great pride in educating tomorrow’s health-care leaders. On some occasions, you may see two providers when visiting our office:
- Your primary care physician – who you will see at each appointment – is a doctor who has completed medical school and is now a resident working to become further accredited in family medicine. The UC Davis residency program is nationally recognized for excellence and develops many of the top physicians in California.
- A highly experienced faculty physician will also oversee your care, and help guide the resident physician’s learning experience.
Together, these physicians will review your personal care plan to ensure that you have ongoing access to the latest technologies, treatments and specialty care as needed.
As part of our commitment to patient-centered care, we offer uniquely convenient scheduling at our clinic, including:
- Extended hours Monday-Thursday
- Unique noon-hour appointment slots
- Same-day appointments
During weekends and holidays, we have agreements in place with other community health-care offices to ensure you receive care when needed. Your UC Davis on-call physician will coordinate referral to these clinics, when appropriate.
Our clinic is housed in the modern Lawrence J. Ellison Ambulatory Care Center on UC Davis' Sacramento campus. The center is located minutes from downtown Sacramento near highways 50, 80 and 99, and includes plentiful parking in a directly adjacent, dedicated parking garage.
The center is home to a pharmacy, imaging and radiology services and a wide range of other multidisciplinary health specialties, and is convenient to UC Davis Medical Center should additional imaging and specialty services be required.
Referrals to specialty care
When referrals are necessary, we refer our patients to UC Davis specialists and facilities (depending on your insurance plan).
If your physician feels that a referral to a specialist or a diagnostic test is appropriate, our staff will pursue authorization with your insurance company. Once the referral is approved, you will receive a notice and instructions about how to schedule an appointment.