UC Davis Emergency Medicine Xperience
The Emergency Medicine Xperience (EMX) is an intense undergraduate internship dedicated to near-peer mentorship across three domains: Undergraduates, Medical Students, and Attending Physicians. While observing clinical cases at the UC Davis Emergency Department, EMX Interns are assigned a medical student preceptor. This creates a unique one-on-one education and mentorship experience for both the EMX Intern and Preceptor.
EMX Interns also attend bimonthly seminars focused on the fundamentals of emergency medicine. Problem-based learning and hands-on workshops are the primary modes of teaching during these seminars. EMX Interns also have the opportunity to present seminar content and clinical cases to their peers via the pre-health student clubs and the Health Professions Advising group at UC Davis’ main campus. EMX advocates for Free Open-Access Medical Education (FAOMed) community and encourages all members to share their knowledge with others.
The Emergency Medicine Xperience also supports medical students interested in emergency medicine through clinical opportunities and EMX Preceptors and monthly conferences led by senior medical students focused on core concepts in emergency medicine, using the CDEM curriculum as guide.
- Attend bimonthly seminars and workshops
- Attend at least one EMX Preceptor conference
- Attend mentored emergency department shifts
- Current UC Davis undergraduate or graduate student
- Completion of college-level human physiology with grade of “C” or better
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater…OR…MCAT score greater than 49th percentile
- Reliable transportation to/from UCDMC in Sacramento, CA (includes nights and weekends)
- Submit your CV/Resume and statement of intent during application cycles
- Applications reviewed by EMX Intern Selection Committee
- Interviews schedule to select applicants
- Internship positions offered as available
Applications cycles typically occur during the following months:
- January/February for Spring quarter
- April/May for Summer quarter
- August/September for Fall quarter
- November/December for Winter quarter