Emergency Medicine Toxicology Fellowship
The UC Davis Department of Emergency Medicine offers a two year Medical Toxicology Fellowship. This is an ACGME-approved fellowship with 6 full-time faculty providing comprehensive training in clinical and medical toxicology with extensive opportunities for patient care, translational research, graduate education and teaching. UC Davis is a division of the California Poison Control System; an integrated system receiving over 300,000 calls/year. Fellows will be actively involved with a busy inpatient consultation system.
Educational experiences include:
• formal didactics
• in-patient rounds
• active clinical consultation service
• high-fidelity simulation training
• educational opportunities with emergency medicine residents, medical students and pharmacy students
• critical care toxicology including accidental adult and childhood drug ingestions; recreational drug abuse; suicide attempts; adverse drug effects
• hazardous materials toxicology
• plant and mushroom poisoning
• hyperbaric medicine (Travis AFB)
• occupational, environmental and regulatory toxicology
• administrative and medical direction of poison control systems
Our two-year fellowship in Medical Toxicology is available to physicians who have completed residency training in emergency medicine, internal medicine, occupational medicine, and pediatrics, and are board certified or board eligible in their respective specialties. Because fellow and attending toxicologists act as primary physicians for poisoned patients, competence in critical care is required.
The University of California, Davis located in Sacramento is surrounded by some of California's most popular attractions, all within easy driving distance: Lake Tahoe and the Sierra Nevada mountain range, Yosemite National Park, San Francisco and the Carmel/Monterey Peninsula, Mendocino and North Coast shores, and the "wine country" of the Napa and Sonoma Valleys.
Mark Sutter, MD
Medical Toxicology Fellowship Director
UC Davis Department of Emergency Medicine
2315 Stockton Blvd
Sacramento, CA 95817