Teledermatology at UC Davis
What is it?
Teledermatology is the use of communication technology to connect patients with dermatologists to improve skin health.
At the University of California Davis, we offer both live interactive teledermatology and store-and-forward teledermatology.
Live interactive (LI) teledermatology allows the consulting dermatologist to interact and examine patients at distant sites via videoconferencing equipment. LI teledermatology enables real-time interaction between the dermatologist and the patient. Furthermore, if the primary care provider is present, this modality allows for dialogues between the primary care provider and the dermatologist. Currently, our dermatologists treat patients from 32 remote sites in California via LI teledermatology.
Store-and-forward (S&F) teledermatology is a computer-based interaction between primary care providers and dermatologists. The primary care providers acquire and transmit medical history and clinical images securely to a dermatologist. The dermatologist reviews these cases asynchronously and makes recommendations to primary care practitioners, who review and implement the recommendations. See pamphlet.
- Improves access: Allows patients in medically underserved communities to access dermatologists.
- Faster Evaluation: Traditionally, patients with dermatology referrals wait several weeks or months to have their skin problems evaluated by a dermatologist.
- Familiarity: For common skin problems, UC Davis dermatologists will provide their recommendations directly to a patient’s primary care provider, who will then follow up individually with the patient. This way, patients will interact with someone who is already familiar with their health history and personal preferences.
- Convenience: In most cases, patients benefit from expert advice of a dermatologist without having to leave their community. Patients save time and money by not having to travel to a dermatologist’s office for the initial evaluation.
- Education: Teledermatology expands opportunities for distance learning.
Enjoy the expertise of academic dermatologists in your own community!
April W. Armstrong, M.D., M.P.H., Director of Teledermatology
Haines Ely, M.D., Associate Physician
Luke Lee, M.B.A., Teledermatology Manager
Heather Sage, Medical Assistant
University of California Davis
Department of Dermatology
Phone: (916) 734-0917 / Fax: (916) 442-5702
Aaron Ulmer, LI Clinic Coordinator
Center for Health and Technology
UC Davis Health System
Phone: (916) 734-1682