Nasim Fazel, M.D., D.D.S., M.A.S.
|Nasim Fazel, M.D., D.D.S., M.A.S., Associate Professor of Dermatology, is a board-certified dermatologist and dentist. In addition to general dermatology, Dr. Fazel has a special interest in the medical management of oral mucous membrane disease and soft tissue pathology. Her background in dentistry provides for insight into the pathophysiology and treatment of aphthous ulcers, burning mouth syndrome, oral lichen planus, and oral vesiculobullous disease (e.g., pemphigus and pemphigoid). Dr. Fazel is regarded as a leading expert in the field of Oral Medicine by many colleagues who refer these difficult and challenging conditions to her.
Dr. Fazel is also Director of the newly established Graduate Medical Education Research Program in the Department of Dermatology. The program is dedicated to research involving all aspects of residency training and education. This includes areas such as residency evaluation and teaching methods, dermatology specific core competencies, resident career choices, residency candidate selection methods, and resident wellness.
Title: Associate Professor of Dermatology, Residency Program Director
Specialty: Oral Mucous Membrane Disease, Medical Dermatology
Medical Education: University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 1995-1999, M.D.
Internship: Oakwood Healthcare System, Dearborn, Michigan 1999-2000
Residency: Henry Ford Health System, Detroit, Michigan 2000-2003, Dermatology
Post-graduate Education: University of California Davis, Davis, California 2007-2009, M.A.S.
Dental Education: Northwestern University Dental School, Chicago, Illinois 1990-1993, D.D.S.
American Board of Dermatology, 2003
Northeastern Regional Board of Dentistry,1994
Director, Dermatology Residency Program, 2012-current, University of California Davis, Department of Dermatology
Director, Graduate Medical Education Research Program, 2012-current, University of California Davis, Department of Dermatology
Associate Professor, 2011-current, University of California Davis, Department of Dermatology
Director, Dermatology Residency Program, 2008-2010, University of California Davis, Department of Dermatology
Associate Director, Dermatology Residency Program, 2005-2008, University of California Davis, Department of Dermatology
Assistant Professor, 2004-2010, University of California Davis, Department of Dermatology
Lecturer, 1994-1995, University of Michigan School of Dentistry, Department of Oral Medicine, Surgery, and Pathology
Clinical Instructor, 1994, Northwestern University Dental School, Department of Fixed Prosthodontics
Sacramento Valley Dermatologic Society, past president
American Academy of Dermatology, fellow
Association of Professors of Dermatology
Sacramento District Dental Society
Omicron Kappa Upsilon Honorary Society
Oral medicine and pathology
Resident and medical student education
Honors and awards:
Early graduation with highest honors, Northwestern University Dental School, Chicago, Illinois, 1993
Alpha Omega Scholar Award, 1994
Omicron Kappa Upsilon Honorary Society Award, 1994
International College of Dentists Award, 1994
Teledyne Hanau Prosthodontics Award, 1994
1. Steenhuis P, Huntley RE, Gurenko Z, Yin L, Dale BA, Fazel N, Isseroff RR. Adrenergic signaling in human oral keratinocytes and wound repair. J Dent Res. 2011 Feb;90(2):186-92. Epub 2010 Dec 2.
2. Sharon V, Fazel N. Oral candidiasis and angular cheilitis. Dermatol Ther. 2010 May-Jun;23(3):230-42.
3. Chambers C, Sharon V, Fazel N. Unknown: Unusual exophytic nodule on the plantar foot. Dermatol Online J. 2010 Apr 15;16(4):11.
4. Tuerk MJ, Fazel N. Zinc deficiency. Curr Opin Gastroenterol. 2009 Mar;25(2):136-43.
5. Eisen DB, Fazel N. Treatment of gingival fibromas using CO2 laser and electrosurgery in a patient with tuberous sclerosis. Dermatol Online J. 2008 Nov 15;14(11):7.
6. Perry D, Lynch PJ, Fazel N. Pseudoepitheliomatous, Keratotic and micaceous balanitis: case report and review of the literature. Dermatology Nursing. 2008;20(2):117-120
7. Patton DP, Lynch PJ, Fung MA, Fazel N. Chronic Atrophic Erosive Dermatosis of the Scalp and Extremities: a Re-characterization of Erosive Pustular Dermatosis. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2007 Sep;57(3):421-7.
8. Maverakis E, Lynch PJ, Fazel N. Acrodermatitis enteropathica. Dermatology Online Journal. 2007 Jul 13;13(3):11.
9. Maverakis E, Fung MA, Lynch PJ, Draznin M, Michael D, Ruben B, Fazel N. Acrodermatitis enteropathica and an overview of zinc metabolism. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2007 Jan;56(1):116-245.
10. Fazel N, Lim HE. Evaluation and management of the patient with photosensitivity. Dermatology Nursing. 2002;14(1):23-4, 27-30.
11. Fazel N, Wilczynski S, Su L. Clinical, histopathologic, and molecular aspects of cutaneous human papillomavirus infections. Dermatologic Clinics. 1999;17(3):521-36.
To schedule an appointment and to see if Dr. Nasim Fazel is accepting new patients please call: (916) 734-6111.