Maija Kiuru, M.D., Ph.D.
My goal is to provide outstanding and comprehensive medical and surgical dermatologic care for my patients of all ages. I understand the tremendous impact skin diseases can have on physical and mental health and strive for compassionate and thoughtful care. I specialize in the two aspects of dermatology, seeing patients and examining skin biopsies under the microscope. With this background I provide a thorough yet practical approach to patient care.
Besides her medical education, Dr. Kiuru received her doctorate degree in cancer genetics. Her doctoral dissertation research identified an inherited genetic defect causing a syndrome with skin tumors, uterine fibroids, and kidney cancer. She continued to pursue her research interests in genetic medicine as a post-doctoral research fellow at Weill Cornell Medical College and at Columbia University studying hereditary skin blistering and hair and nail disorders. She did her general surgery internship and dermatology training at New York Presbyterian Hospital – Weill Cornell Medical Center. Following her residency training, she completed a fellowship in dermatopathology at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center and Weill Cornell Medical College.
Dr. Kiuru’s research interests include genetic alterations in skin tumors and familial skin diseases. Dr. Kiuru has published numerous peer-reviewed articles, review articles, and book chapters, and has lectured at many national and international meetings.
Title: Assistant Professor of Clinical Dermatology
Medical Education: University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland, M.D., Ph.D.
Internships: New York Presbyterian Hospital – Weill Cornell Medical Center, General surgery
Residency: New York Presbyterian Hospital – Weill Cornell Medical Center, Dermatology
Fellowships: Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center and Weill Cornell Medical College, Dermatopathology
Board Certifications: Dermatology, Dermatopathology
- Kiuru M, Busam KJ. The NF1 gene in tumor syndromes and melanoma. Lab Invest. 2017 Jan 9. doi: 10.1038/labinvest.2016.142. [Epub ahead of print]
- Ogawa T, Kiuru M, Konia TH, Fung MA. Acantholytic squamous cell carcinoma is usually associated with hair follicles, not acantholytic actinic keratosis, and is not "high risk": Diagnosis, management, and clinical outcomes in a series of 115 cases. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2017 Feb;76(2):327-333.
- Millsop JW, Sharon VR, Petukhova T, Fung MA, Kiuru M. Chemotherapy reaction induced by ixabepilone, a microtubule stabilizing agent, mimicking extramammary Paget's disease in a patient with breast carcinoma. J Cutan Pathol. 2016 Dec;43(12):1215-1219.
- Kiuru M, Jungbluth A, Kutzner H, Wiesner T, Busam KJ. Spitz Tumors - Comparison of Histologic Features In Relationship to Immunohistochemical Staining for ALK and NTRK1. Int J Surg Pathol. 2016 May;24(3):200-6.
- Wiesner T, Kiuru M, Scott SN, Arcila M, Halpern AC, Hollmann T, Berger MF, Busam KJ. NF1 Mutations Are Common in Desmoplastic Melanoma. Am J Surg Pathol. 2015 Oct;39(10):1357-62.
- Geyer MB, Radhakrishnan K, Giller R, Umegaki N, Harel S, Kiuru M, Morel KD, LeBoeuf N, Kandel J, Bruckner A, Fabricatore S, Chen M, Woodley D, McGrath J, Baxter-Lowe L, Uitto J, Christiano AM, Cairo MS. Reduced Toxicity Conditioning and Allogeneic Hematopoietic Progenitor Cell Transplantation for Recessive Dystrophic Epidermolysis Bullosa. J Pediatr. 2015 Sep;167(3):765-769.
- Marchetti MA, Kiuru M, Busam KJ, Marghoob AA, Scope A, Dusza SW, Cordova MA, Fonseca M, Wu X, Halpern AC. Melanocytic Naevi with Globular and Reticular Dermoscopic Patterns Display Distinct BRAF V600E Expression Profiles and Histopathologic Patterns. Br J Dermatol. 2014 Br J Dermatol. 2014 Nov;171(5):1060-5.
- DeStefano GM, Kurban M, Anyane-Yeboa K, Dall'Armi C, Di Paolo G, Feenstra H, Silverberg N, Rohena L, López-Cepeda LD, Jobanputra V, Fantauzzo KA,Kiuru M, Tadin-Strapps M, Sobrino A, Vitebsky A, Warburton D, Levy B, Salas-Alanis JC, Christiano AM. Mutations in the cholesterol transporter gene ABCA5 are associated with excessive hair overgrowth. PLoS Genet. 2014 May 15;10(5):e1004333.
- Kiuru M, McDermott G, Berger M, Halpern AC, Busam K. Desmoplastic Melanoma with Sarcomatoid De-differentiation. Am J Surg Pathol. 2014 Jun;38(6):864-70.
- Kiuru M, McDermott G, Coit D, Berger M, Busam KJ. Basal cell carcinosarcoma with PTCH1 mutations in both epithelial and sarcomatoid primary tumor components as well as in the sarcomatoid metastasis. Am J Surg Pathol. 2014 Jan;38(1):138-42.
- Kiuru M, Martinez-Mir A, Christiano AM. Basic principles of genetics. In Bolognia J, Jorizzo J, Schaffer J (Ed.), Dermatology, 3rd ed (pp. 783-798). Elsevier. 2012.
- Kiuru M, Kurban M, Itoh M, Petukhova L, Shimomura Y, Wajid M, Christiano AM. Hereditary leukonychia, or porcelain nails, resulting from mutations in PLCD1. Am J Hum Genet. 2011 Jun 10;88(6):839-44.
- Itoh M,Kiuru M, Cairo MS, Christiano AM. Generation of keratinocytes from normal and recessive dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa-induced pluripotent stem cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011 May 24;108(21):8797-802.
- Kiuru M, Itoh M, Cairo MS, Christiano AM. Bone marrow stem cell therapy for recessive dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa. Dermatol Clin. 2010 Apr;28(2):371-82, xii-xiii.
- Kiuru M, Hidaka C, Hubner RH, Krause A, Leopold PL, Crystal RG. Sonic Hedgehog Expands Diaphyseal Trabecular Bone Altering Bone Marrow Niche and Lymphocyte Compartment. Mol Ther. 2009 Aug;17(8):1442-52.
- Kiuru M, Boyer J, O’Connor TP, Crystal RG. Control of wayward stem cells after transplantation. Cell Stem Cell 2009. 4(4): 289 – 300.
- Vanharanta S, Buchta M, McWhinney SR, Virta SK, Peczkowska M, Morrison CD, Lehtonen R, Januszewicz A, Jarvinen H, Juhola M, Mecklin JP, Pukkala E, Herva R,Kiuru M, Nupponen NN, Aaltonen LA, Neumann HP, Eng C. Early-onset renal cell carcinoma as a novel extraparaganglial component of SDHB-associated heritable paraganglioma. Am J Hum Genet. 2004 Jan; 74(1): 153-159.
- Eng C,Kiuru M, Fernandez MJ, Aaltonen LA. A role for mitochondrial enzymes in inherited neoplasia and beyond. Nat Rev Cancer. 2003 Mar; 3(3): 193-202.
- The Multiple Leiomyoma Consortium: Group 1: Tomlinson IP, et al., Group 2: Bevan S, et al., Group 3: Kiuru M, et al. Germline mutations in FH predispose to dominantly inherited uterine fibroids, skin leiomyomata and papillary renal cell cancer. Nat Genet. 2002, Apr; 30(4):406-410.
- Kiuru M, Launonen V, Hietala M, Aittomaki K, Vierimaa O, Salovaara R, Arola J, Pukkala E, Sistonen P, Herva R, Aaltonen LA. Familial cutaneous leiomyomatosis is a two-hit condition associated with renal cell cancer of characteristic histopathology. Am J Pathol. 2001, Sep; 159(3):825-829.
- Launonen V, Vierimaa O,Kiuru M, Isola J, Roth S, Pukkala E, Sistonen P, Herva R, Aaltonen LA. Inherited susceptibility to uterine leiomyomas and renal cell cancer. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001, Mar; 98(6):3387-3392.
To schedule an appointment and to see if Dr. Maija Kiuru is accepting new patients please call: 916-734-6111