Nasim Fazel, MD, DDS, MAS
Nasim Fazel, MD, DDS, MAS
Dr. Fazel, Associate Professor of Dermatology, is a board-certified dermatologist and dentist. Dr. Fazel has a special interest in the medical management of oral mucosal diseases. Her background in dentistry provides for insight into the pathophysiology and treatment of oral mucosal disorders such as oral lichen planus, recurrent aphthous stomatitis, Behçet’s disease, burning mouth syndrome, and oral vesiculobullous diseases (e.g., pemphigus and pemphigoid). Her primary research interest is focused on oral lichen planus including the epigenetics and pathogenesis of the disease, diagnostic devices in translational biophotonics, quality of life measures and potential novel therapies for refractory disease including IVIG and biologics. Dr. Fazel is a nationally recognized leading expert in the field of oral mucosal disease receiving regular referrals from the Northern and Southern California area and Nevada.
Title: Associate Professor of Dermatology
Director, Oral Mucosal Disease Clinic
Specialty: Oral Mucosal Disease, Medical Dermatology
Medical Education: University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 1995-1999, M.D.
Internship: Oakwood Healthcare System, Dearborn, Michigan 1999-2000
Residency: Henry Ford Health System, Detroit, Michigan 2000-2003, Dermatology
Post-graduate Education: University of California Davis, Davis, California 2007-2009, M.A.S.
Dental Education: Northwestern University Dental School, Chicago, Illinois 1990-1993, D.D.S.
American Board of Dermatology, 2003
Northeastern Regional Board of Dentistry,1994
Director, Dermatology Residency Program, 2012-2015, University of California Davis, Department of Dermatology
Associate Professor, 2011-current, University of California Davis, Department of Dermatology
Director, Dermatology Residency Program, 2008-2010, University of California Davis, Department of Dermatology
Associate Director, Dermatology Residency Program, 2005-2008, University of California Davis, Department of Dermatology
Assistant Professor, 2004-2010, University of California Davis, Department of Dermatology
Lecturer, 1994-1995, University of Michigan School of Dentistry, Department of Oral Medicine, Surgery, and Pathology
Clinical Instructor, 1994, Northwestern University Dental School, Department of Fixed Prosthodontics
Sacramento Valley Dermatologic Society, past president
American Academy of Dermatology, fellow
Association of Professors of Dermatology
Sacramento District Dental Society
Omicron Kappa Upsilon Honorary Society
Oral mucosal disease
Oral lichen planus
Honors and awards:
Employee Excellence in Compassion Award, UC Davis Health System, 2015
Early graduation with highest honors, Northwestern University Dental School, Chicago, Illinois, 1993
Alpha Omega Scholar Award, 1994
Omicron Kappa Upsilon Honorary Society Award, 1994
International College of Dentists Award, 1994
Teledyne Hanau Prosthodontics Award, 1994
- Clinical features of Behçet’s disease: A retrospective chart review of 26 patients. Davari P, Rogers RS, Chan B, Nagler TH, Fazel N. J Dermatolog Treat. 2015 Jun 25:1-5.
- Cutaneous lichen planus: A Systematic Review of Treatments. Fazel N. J Dermatolog Treat. 2014 Jul 9:1-4.
- Mucosal Lichen Planus: An Evidence-Based Treatment Update. Davari P, Hsiao HH, Fazel N. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2014 Jul; 15(3):181-95.
- Cutaneous and mucosal lichen planus: a comprehensive review of clinical subtypes, risk factors, diagnosis, and prognosis. Gorouhi F, Davari P, Fazel N. Scientific World Journal. 2014 Jan 30;2014:742826.
- A critical review of personal statements submitted by dermatology residency applicants. Olazagasti J, Gorouhi F, Fazel N. Dermatol Res Pract. 2014;2014:934874.
- Dermatology residency selection criteria with an emphasis on program characteristics: a national program director survey. Gorouhi F, Alikhan A, Rezaei A, Fazel N. Dermatol Res Pract. 2014;2014:692760.
- Patient-centered, direct-access online care for management of atopic dermatitis. Armstrong AA, Johnson MA, Lin S, Maverakis E, Fazel N, Liu F. JAMA Dermotol. 2014 Oct 22.
- Adrenergic signaling in human oral keratinocytes and wound repair. Steenhuis P, Huntley RE, Gurenko Z, Yin L, Dale BA, Fazel N, Isseroff RR. J Dent Res. 2011 Feb;90(2):186-92. Epub 2010 Dec 2.
- Oral candidiasis and angular cheilitis. Sharon V, Fazel N. Dermatol Ther. 2010 May-Jun;23(3):230-42.
Chronic Atrophic Erosive Dermatosis of the Scalp and Extremities: a Re-characterization of Erosive Pustular Dermatosis. Patton DP, Lynch PJ, Fung MA, Fazel N. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2007 Sep;57(3):421-7.