Using REDCap's stream-lined process for rapidly developing projects, you may create and design projects by constructing a 'data dictionary' template file in Microsoft Excel, which can be later uploaded into REDCap. REDCap provides audit trails for tracking data manipulation and user activity, as well as automated export procedures for seamless data downloads to Excel, PDF, and common statistical packages (SPSS, SAS, Stata, R). Also included are a built-in project calendar, a scheduling module, ad hoc reporting tools, and advanced features, such as branching logic, file uploading, and calculated fields.
Steps to Create a REDCap Project
Step 1. Introductory meeting
- Determine project scope
- Apply for CSTC resources: Complete the online CTSC Application for Resource Use
- Submit Project Level Agreement: Download and complete the REDCap project level agreement (PDF)
- Before you enter data into REDCap, you must have an approved IRB protocol. Informatics staff can help you begin creating a data dictionary without an IRB, but it is preferable to start after the IRB is complete.
Step 2. Learn how to create a REDCap data dictionary
- Review CTSC documentation to learn how to construct a data dictionary
- Watch a video about how to construct a data dictionary
- Carefully review the example data dictionary (Excel) to learn about the required format
Step 3. Data review process
- Before going too far, create one form and send it to CTSC staff for review
- Receive feedback from informatics staff and complete the data dictionary
- Review data dictionary with statistician
- Once you complete a draft of the data dictionary, informatics staff will upload it to create your REDCap database
Step 4. Complete the user permission listing
- Once your data dictionary is near completion, the informatics staff you will send you a link to a listing where you will specify the roles and permissions of your team members. You will need to know their UC Davis emails and Kerberos IDs (no passwords)
- You can revisit the listing at a later time to change permissions and add users, but it is important to get started
Step 5. Obtain REDCap access for all team members
Questions or comments about REDCap?