CTSC Clinical Research Center (CCRC)
Highly skilled clinical research nurses implement protocol-specific procedures and provide direct nursing care for all subjects enrolled in research studies. The nurses of the CCRC ensure the health and safety of all research subjects and are committed to upholding the Experimental Subjects Bill of Rights.
The nurses' areas of expertise vary to accommodate a wide spectrum of clinical research strategies and disciplines. All staff are trained annually in GCP and monitor for GCP compliance with each study they are assigned. All CTSC Clinical Research Center nurses meet strict hospital and unit-based competencies, and are ACLS/PALS, conscious sedation, and chemotherapy certified. A Nurse Practitioner is available to provide expanded services to investigators.
CCRC nurses collaborate with the principal investigators to ensure that research protocols are applied appropriately and that data collected is consistent with the goals of the research. CCRC nurses study all relevant protocols before each study begins, and are subsequently well prepared to monitor and treat patients for protocol-specific adverse reactions and to assess each subject's educational needs.
All CCRC nurses are trained in Human Subject’s Protection, Good Clinical Practices, research protocol adherence, and human specimen collection and processing. All CCRC nurses are certified in chemotherapy administration, conscious sedation, and ACLS. Nursing services include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Adverse Event Management
- Biopsies: Fat, Muscle, and Liver
- Central Line Access and Site Care
- Chemotherapy Administration
- Conscious Sedation
- Continuous Infusions (investigational or approved drugs)
- Continuous Pulse and BP Monitoring
- 5L Cardiac Monitoring and 12 Lead EKG
- Glucose Monitoring/Insulin Clamps
- IV and Oral Glucose Tolerance Testing
- Invasive Hemodynamic Monitoring/Swan Ganz
- Peripheral Line Access and Maintenance
- Pituitary Hormone Testing
- Serial Blood Sampling (PK Studies)
- Specimen Processing
- Standardized Orders and Flowsheets
CCRC nursing services are available to investigators at the CCRC as well as at sites throughout the UC Davis Health System and local communities.
Nursing station: (916) 843-9429, (916) 843-9428
For additional information, please contact Nicole Hansen