- Domin, M.A. Highly virulent pathogens - a post antibiotic era? Br J Theatre Nurs 1998:8(2): 14-18.
- Garrett, L. The Coming Plague: Newly Emerging Diseases in a World Out of Balance, 1995, Penguin Books, p. 671.
- Levy, S.B. The challenge of antibiotic resistance. Sci Am March 1998.
- Bauchner, H., Pelton, S.I., and Klein, J.O. Parents, physicians and antibiotic use. Pediatrics 1999; 103(2):395-401.
- Nyquist, A.C., et al. Antibiotic prescribing for children with colds, URI's and bronchitis. JAMA 1998; 279(11):875-877.
- Gonzales, R., Steiner, J. F., Sande, M.A. Antibiotic prescribing for adults with colds, upper respiratory tract infections and bronchitis by ambulatory care physicians. JAMA 1997;278(11):901-904.
- Gaynes, R. P. Surveillance of nosocomial infections: A fundamental ingredient for quality. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1997; 18(7): 475-478.
- Vincent, J.L., et al. The prevalence of nosocomial infection in intensive care units in Europe. Results of the European Prevalence of Infection in Intensive Care (EPIC) Study. JAMA 1995;274 (8):639-644.
- Weber, D.J., Raasch, R., and Rutala, W.A. Nosocomial infections in the ICU: The growing importance of antibiotic-resistant pathogens. Chest 1999; 115:34S-41S.
- Kollef, M.H., et al. Inadequate antimicrobial treatment of infections: A risk factor for hospital mortality among critically ill patients. Chest 1999; 115:462-474.
- Smith, T.L., et al. Emergence of vancomycin resistance in Staphylococcus aureus. NEJM 1999;340(7):493-501.
- Nema, S. et al. Emerging bacteria drug resistance in hospital practice. Indian J Med Sci 1997; 51 (8): 275-280.
- File, Jr., T.M. Overview of resistance in the 1990s, Chest 1999;115:3S-8S.
- Moellering, Jr., R.C. Antibiotic resistance: Lessons for the future. Clin Infec Dis 1998:27(Sup.1);S135-140.
- Moellering, Jr., R.C. A novel antimicrobial agent joins the battle against resistant bacteria. Ann Int Med 1999;130(2):155-157.
About the author
Wesley Mark Todd, M.D., is the Therapeutic Area Clinical Director for Antibacterials at Pharmacia & Upjohn.
Return to: Infection Control Home