The First Five Minutes: An ACLS Alternative for Acute Care Nurses
|June 19||September 11||October 10|
7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
UC Davis Medical Center Davis Tower, 7125
Course # 06316
Class dates in red are full.
The First Five Minutes: An ACLS Alternative for Acute Care Nurses course is designed to assist acute care nurses in developing the confidence, technical and critical thinking skills needed to recognize and respond to an unstable patient.
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to
- Identify an unstable patient.
- Describe the roles of the Rapid Response and Code Blue teams.
- Acquire the practical skills needed to manage patients in cardiac and/or respiratory arrest until the Code Blue team arrives.
- Describe the BLS primary survey and ACLS secondary survey.
- Demonstrate effective airway management through effective bag-valve mask ventilation and insertion of an OPA and NPA.
- Operate a monophasic and biphasic defibrillator.
- Demonstrate the critical thinking and practical skills acquired through the integration of scenario based mock code situations.
- Demonstrate the critical thinking skills needed to assess and manage an unstable patient until the physician and/or Action Nurse/Rapid Response team arrives.
Please dress in hospital scrubs or clinical work attire as participants will work hands-on with a human patient simulator.
C.E. contact hours
Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, provider number CEP 26, for 7.5 contact hours.
UC Davis Medical Center is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Attendees will not receive C.E. credit if they are more than 20 minutes late; no partial credit can be awarded.
Please select a class date above and complete the registration form. If using a credit card, submit the registration form and phone in your credit card number to (916) 734-9790. If paying by check, please print the registration form, attach your check made payable to UC Regents dated for the date of the class, and mail to:
Center for Professional Practice of Nursing
4900 Broadway, Suite 1630
Sacramento, CA 95820
Registrations are confirmed only if deposit or fee is provided with registration form.
UC Davis employees
$25 registration deposit. Registration deposit is returned upon completion of class. Cancellation must be requested five days prior to class date to receive deposit refund.
This class is for UC Davis Health System employees only.
Persons with disabilities
Individuals needing special accommodations may call the Center for Professional Practice of Nursing at (916) 734-9790.
Parking is available in lot 25, approximately one block from the Broadway Building on 50th Street adjacent to the MIND Institute. Park with a UC Davis parking permit, or purchase a daily permit for $6.
Karrin Dunbar, R.N., B.S.N.