The First Five Minutes: An ACLS Alternative for Acute Care Nurses
2014 / 2015
|November 21||February 5||March 30||April 21|
|June 23||July 14||August 21|
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
UC Davis Medical Center, Room 7125
Course # 07978
The First Five Minutes: An ACLS Alternative for Acute Care Nurses course is designed to assist acute care nurses in developing the confidence, technical and critical thinking skills needed to recognize and respond to an unstable patient.
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to
- Identify an unstable patient.
- Describe the roles of the Rapid Response and Code Blue teams.
- Acquire the practical skills needed to manage patients in cardiac and/or respiratory arrest until the Code Blue team arrives.
- Describe the BLS primary survey and ACLS secondary survey.
- Demonstrate effective airway management through effective bag-valve mask ventilation and insertion of an OPA and NPA.
- Operate a monophasic and biphasic defibrillator.
- Demonstrate the critical thinking and practical skills acquired through the integration of scenario based mock code situations.
- Demonstrate the critical thinking skills needed to assess and manage an unstable patient until the physician and/or Action Nurse/Rapid Response team arrives.
Please dress in hospital scrubs or clinical work attire as participants will work hands-on with a human patient simulator.
C.E. contact hours
Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, provider number CEP 26, for 7.5 contact hours.
The University of California, Davis Medical Center is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Attendees will not receive C.E. credit if they are more than 20 minutes late; no partial credit can be awarded.
Please select a class date above and complete the registration form. If using a credit card, submit the registration form and phone in your credit card number to (916) 734-9790. If paying by check, please print the registration form, attach your check made payable to UC Regents dated for the date of the class, and mail to:
Center for Professional Practice of Nursing
4900 Broadway, Suite 1630
Sacramento, CA 95820
Registrations are confirmed only if deposit or fee is provided with registration form.
UC Davis employees
$25 registration deposit. Registration deposit is returned upon completion of class. Cancellation must be requested five days prior to class date to receive deposit refund.
This class is for UC Davis Health System employees only.
Persons with disabilities
Individuals needing special accommodations may call the Center for Professional Practice of Nursing at (916) 734-9790.
Parking is available in parking lots 4, 12 and 17 with a UC Davis parking permit. A daily permit is available for purchase for $6 from the kiosks in lots 14 (2nd Ave. & 45th St.) and 18 (49th St. & V St.).
Karrin Dunbar, R.N., B.S.N.