About the cord blood collection program
The Umbilical Cord Blood Collection Program (UCBCP), administered by UC Davis Health System, is a statewide public program designed to capture the genetic diversity of Californians through the collection of cord blood units for unrelated transplantation.
The program was created by a state law passed in 2010 that funds public cord blood banking through an additional $2 fee on birth certificate copies.
The collection service is the state's first comprehensive public system for collecting cord blood that will be stored at an established, qualified cord blood bank. Mothers will be able to donate their newborns' umbilical cord blood and have it publicly banked so it is available to anyone for lifesaving transplantations.
Program team members are training collection specialists and certifying collection sites at hospitals around the state. They hope the public program will encourage as many donations as possible so that the range of California population groups is well represented and helps enhance the national inventory of publicly stored cord blood units.
The mission of the Umbilical Cord Blood Collection Program is to:
- Serve the people of California through increased collections of cord blood units that are representative of the state’s unique and genetically diverse population
- Store these cord blood units in public cord blood banks that are searchable and accessible to those in need of a transplant, and
Increase distribution of cord blood units for research purposes.
The vision for the umbilical cord blood collection program is to expand public access to cord blood stem cells by targeting current inventory shortages, in order to provide greater probabilities that people of any race or ethnicity can find an appropriately matched cord blood unit in the National Registry.
In support of these goals, the Umbilical Cord Blood Collection Program plans to:
- Promote targeted education programs for health professionals
- Utilize best practices for cord blood collections
- Facilitate provisions of high quality cord blood units for transplantation
- Promote research and development of effective treatments utilizing cord blood stem cells
- Be funded with revenue from birth certificate fees and other sources, and
Develop a sustainability fund to enable the program to continue after Dec. 31, 2017.
We are committed to the highest standards in cord blood collection and to providing high-quality cord blood units for research purposes. For more information or questions, please contact our staff at firstname.lastname@example.org, 844-734-CORD (2673) or 916-703-9316.
Umbilical Cord Blood Collection Program
UC Davis Institute for Regenerative Cures
2921 Stockton Blvd., Room 1300
Sacramento, CA 95817