Children's Miracle Network Grants
Children’s Miracle Network (CMN) Grant applications are now available for FY 2018/2019 grant funding. Grants must have a primary focus on directly improving the health and welfare of children, particularly those served by the UC Davis Children’s Hospital, and will be accepted from any UC Davis faculty and staff member (dependent on the grant category). Grants are two years in duration and requested funds cannot exceed $50,000 (maximum total for two years).
The Mission of the Children's Miracle Network
The CMN at UC Davis Children’s Hospital is dedicated to connecting and inspiring community support for the healthiest future of the children and families we are privileged to serve.
Minimum Criteria for Grant Applicants
- Applicants for general research grants may be submitted by UC Davis faculty and all staff disciplines that provide care to pediatric patients (i.e. nurses, therapists, dietitians, etc.)
- Applicants for the Junior Faculty Research grants must be at the Assistant Professor level on the due date of the application
- Applicants for clinical services grants may be submitted by UC Davis faculty and all staff disciplines that provide care to pediatric patients (i.e. nurses, therapists, dietitians, etc.)
- Applications must support the CMN mission (see above) and are required to indicate how the project/research contributes to the UC Davis Health Strategic Goals and/or UC Davis Medical Center Institutional Goals.
- All previously funded CMN grant recipients must submit a progress report with their application
- Currently CMN funded faculty or staff are not eligible to submit an application
- Applicants may apply for only one grant per year per category
CMN FY Funding 2018/2019 Timeline
- CMN grant applications must be completed and received by the deadline date of Monday, March 5 by 5:00 p.m., PST. There will be no exceptions made to the deadline.
- CMN grants are reviewed and competitive proposals selected for funding
- The CMN Executive Committee makes final decisions for funding for FY 2018/2019
- Letters on funding decisions will be sent out to applicants for FY 2018/2019
End of June 2018
- New accounts are created and provided to recipients with a start date of July 2, 2018.
General Research Grants
- Research grants may be submitted by UC Davis faculty and all staff disciplines that provide care to pediatric patients (i.e. nurses, therapists, dietitians, etc.)
- Research Grant applications must have a primary focus on directly improving the health and welfare of children, particularly those served by the UC Davis Children’s Hospital. In the grant application, the applicant must clearly indicate how the project/research contributes to the UC Davis Health strategic goals and/or UC Davis Medical Center Institutional Goals. This information will be a component of the grant review and considered when ranking the applications.
- Special consideration will be given to junior faculty members. Junior investigators are considered those at the rank of Assistant Professor, and applicants are requested to check the box indicating their junior status. For junior faculty member submissions, a senior faculty mentor must be included in the proposal (Academic Senate or Federation). The faculty mentor will be expected to have reviewed the proposal prior to submission and include a Letter of Support and a current NIH Biosketch with the application.
- Research Guidelines (PDF)
- Research Grant Application (PDF)
- Biographical Sketch (PDF)
Clinical Services Grant
- These funds support projects or equipment that enhance the clinical care of children and contributes to the CMN and UC Davis Children’s Hospital missions, and the UC Davis Health strategic goals and/or UC Davis Medical Center Institutional Goals. Previous examples of funded applications include the following: Development of the Children’s Hospital Critical Care Transport Program, Cooling Program in the NICU, and equipment for new program development improving the lives of children. The amount of funds awarded each year will be determined by the CMN Executive Committee and CEO of the UC Davis Medical Center.
- Clinical Services Grant Guidelines (PDF)
- Clinical Services Grant Application (PDF)
CMN Grant Application Workshops:
Building: Davis Tower
Room DT 3701
Time: 10am to 11am
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the mission of the Children’s Miracle Network (CMN)?
Dedicated to connecting and inspiring community support for the healthiest future of the children and families we are privileged to serve.
What type of grant can I apply for?
- General Research, including Junior Faculty Research Grants (two-year award)
- Clinical Services Grant (two-year award)
How do I submit my grant?
Applications must be completed and received by the specified deadline, March 5, 5:00 p.m., 2018. Applications must be completed and submitted as one PDF file by the specified deadline by electronic mail. No applications will be accepted as hard copies or after the deadline. Incomplete applications will not be considered and administratively triaged.
Who is eligible to apply?
Research Grants: Academic Senate and Federation faculty at the assistant, associate or professor level, and all staff that provide care to pediatric patients (i.e. nurses, therapists, dietitians, etc.). Clinical Services Grant: Academic Senate and Federation faculty at the assistant, associate or professor level, and staff of the UC Davis Medical Center and UC Davis campus.
Are Volunteer Clinical Faculty eligible for CMN grants?
No. CMN Grants are only available to Academic Senate and Federation faculty and staff of UC Davis Medical Center and UC Davis.
Can I apply for more than one CMN grant in the same funding cycle?
Yes. Applicants are able to apply for one grant per year per category (i.e. Research, Clinical Services)). Applicants cannot apply for multiple grants under the same category.
Can I apply for a grant if I already have a grant from the previous fiscal year?
Funding requests will only be considered if the P.I.’s Final Report for any prior CMN grant funded has been received. Concurrent awards and applications for new awards are not permitted; if an applicant has a currently funded CMN research grant the application will be administratively triaged.
Can I include equipment in our itemized budget?
Yes. Equipment can be included in the itemized budgets. However, if the intent of the proposal is the purchase of new equipment, other sources of funding, such as capital equipment, hospital unit budget and departmental budgets; should first be considered. It is expected that lack of availability of other funding sources will be addressed in the budget justification. Funds cannot be requested for personal devices such as, but not limited to, the following: iPad, iPhone, laptops, or desktop computers unless for patient use.
Does the application need to be circulated through the Office of Research?
No. This is an intramural funding program and the application should not be circulated through the Office of Research.
Can CMN funds be used for licensing or certification?
Requested funds cannot be used for licensing or certifications.
How do I make changes to my funded grant?
All funds are to be used for the purposes stated in the original grant application. Any proposed change in P.I., use of funds, staffing, or related budgetary items must be submitted in writing with a clear justification and approved prior to any changes being made. Requests must be sent to the Director of Patient Care Services for review and approval by the CMN Executive Committee.
Once a decision has been made the approval or denial document will be filed with the original grant application in the CMN administrative file. The CMN accountant will make any appropriate adjustments to the account based on the decision. The grantee will be notified in writing of the decision. This process does not apply to extension of expiring grant funding. All extension requests must be made in writing by March 30th and will only be approved by the UC Davis Children’s Hospital CMN Executive Committee before the grant funding ends in June.
If funds for a conference are requested, must the attendance be within the funding cycle?
Requested funds cannot be used to attend conferences.
What will happen with the funds if they are not spent by the expiration date?
All unspent funds will revert to CMN at the expiration date of the award.
When will I know if my application was approved?
June 2018 letters on funding decisions will be sent to applicants for FY 2018/19.
Who do I contact regarding questions on my submission?
Sabrina Olivarez at (916) 734-3891
Who do I contact regarding questions on my account?
Krupa Shukla – Children’s Miracle Network Account Manager - (916) 734-5392
For further information or questions regarding the application process, please contact Sabrina Olivarez by e-mail at email@example.com or at (916) 734-3891.