Become a Heart Safe School
Heart Safe Schools is a heart safety program that recognizes California schools for:
- Raising awareness about sudden cardiac arrest
- Implementing and sustaining life-saving cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and automated external defibrillator (AED) programs on school campus
What is the benefit to becoming a Project ADAM Sacramento Heart Safe School?
- Being prepared to appropriately respond to sudden cardiac arrest on campus, thereby increasing potential to save the life of a student, a staff member or visitor.
- Uniting with other California schools to prepare for cardiac emergencies and increase survivability of sudden cardiac arrest
- Recognition from UC Davis Children’s Hospital for our life saving efforts, by way of a framed Heart Safe School certificate and listing on the UC Davis Children’s Hospital website.
- A letter from UC Davis Children’s Hospital recognizing our school for its life saving efforts, for distribution to the district superintendent, students and families.
- Contribution to statewide and national research on prevention of sudden cardiac death.
How do we become a Heart Safe School?
- Complete the Heart Safe School checklist to be sure your school is prepared to respond to a cardiac emergency
- Complete and email the checklist to email@example.com OR print out and mail the to the following address:
Project ADAM Administrator
UC Davis Pediatric Heart Center
2315 Stockton Blvd. #7133
Sacramento, CA 95817
- Heart Safe School recognition lasts two full years. Certification can be renewed/maintained by resubmitting your current Heart Safe School Checklist
- Get the word out! Being prepared for a sudden cardiac emergency is an amazing accomplishment that should be shared with your community. Use our resources to do the following:
- Send a press release about your school being Heart Safe
- Send a letter to your students and families notifying them of your CPR/AED program and Heart Safe recognition
- Plan cardiac emergency drills with your staff to practice your response and ensure everyone knows where the AED is located on your campus
- Plan an assembly, health fair or event to teach kids and families hands only CPR and how to use an AED
Special Note: Project ADAM Sacramento is committed to supporting individual schools wherever they are in the process of implementing a school CPR/AED program. Our Heart Safe Schools program is focused on the core elements of sudden cardiac arrest awareness, cardiac emergency response plans, cardiac emergency response drills. If you need assistance with your CPR/AED program, please reach out so we can offer support and resources.