Craig Watson, M.D., Ph.D.
4860 Y St., Suite 3700
Sacramento, CA 95817
Craig Watson specializes in medically intractable epilepsy, hippocampal sclerosis, lesional epilepsy, nonpharmacological epilepsy therapy, and neuroimaging in epilepsy, especially quantitative volumetric MRI of medial temporal lobe structures. Dr. Watson also has research, clinical, and educational interests in neuroanatomical correlates of neurological disorders.
2013 Varade P, Rayes M, Basha M, Watson C. Ictal syncope in a patient with temporal lobe epilepsy. Neurology 80:e172-e174.
2012 Watson C. Basic Human Neuroanatomy: A Clinically Oriented Atlas, 6th Edition. Lulu.com, (print and electronic versions).
2008 Atkinson M, Juhasz C, Shah J, Guo X, Kupsky W, Fuerst D, Johnson R, Watson C. Paradoxical imaging findings in cerebral gliomas. J Neurol Sci 269:180-183.
2003 Fuerst D, Shah J, Shah A, Watson C. Hippocampal sclerosis is a progressive disorder: a longitudinal volumetric MRI study. Ann Neurol 53:413-416.
2003 Watson C. Hippocampal sclerosis and the syndrome of medial temporal lobe epilepsy. Expert Rev Neurotherapeutics 3:821-828.
2001 Fuerst D, Shah J, Kupsky WJ, Johnson R, Shah A, Hayman-Abello B, Ergh T, Poore Q, Canady A, Watson C. Volumetric MRI, pathological, and neuropsychological progression in hippocampal sclerosis. Neurology 57:184-188.
2000 Cendes F, Li LM, Watson C, Andermann F, Dubeau F, Arnold DL. Is ictal recording mandatory in temporal lobe epilepsy? Not when the interictal electroencephalogram and hippocampal atrophy coincide. Arch Neurol 57:497-500.
1999 Li LM, Cendes F, Andermann F, Watson C, Fish DR, Cook MJ, Dubeau F, Duncan JS, Shorvon SD, Berkovic SF, Free S, Olivier A, Harkness W, Arnold DL. Surgical outcome in patients with epilepsy and dual pathology. Brain 122:799-805.
1997 Watson C, Jack CR, Cendes F. Volumetric magnetic resonance imaging: Clinical applications and contributions to the understanding of temporal lobe epilepsy. Arch Neurol 54:1521-1531.
1997 Watson C, Cendes F, Fuerst D, Dubeau F, Williamson B, Evans A, Andermann F. Specificity of volumetric magnetic resonance imaging in detecting hippocampal sclerosis. Arch Neurol 54:67-73.
1996 Watson C, Nielsen SL, Cobb C, Burgerman R, Williamson B. Pathological grading system for hippocampal sclerosis: Correlation with magnetic resonance imaging-based volume measurements of the hippocampus. J Epilepsy 9:56-64.
1992 Watson C, Andermann F, Gloor P, Jones-Gotman M, Peters T, Evans A, Olivier A, Melanson D, Leroux G. Anatomical basis of amygdaloid and hippocampal volume measurement by magnetic resonance imaging. Neurology 42:1743-1750.
- Kaiser Foundation Award for Excellence in Teaching Clinical Sciences, University of California, Davis, School of Medicine. 1989, 1993
- Award for Excellence in Teaching of Clinical Medicine, Presented by the Senior Class, University of California, Davis, School of Medicine. 1991, 1992, 1995
- Award for Best Didactic Lectures, Presented by the Graduating Neurology Resident Class, Wayne State University, School of Medicine. 2002, 2008
- College Teaching Award, Wayne State University, School of Medicine. 2004
- Listed in Guide to America’s Top Physicians. Compiled by the Consumers’ Research Council of America, Washington, DC. 2006, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Listed in The Best Doctors in America. 1996-2014
- American Neurological Association (Fellow)
- American Academy of Neurology (Fellow)
- Epilepsy Section & Neuroimaging Section, American Academy of Neurology
- American Association of Anatomists
- American Association of Clinical Anatomists
- American Epilepsy Society
- American Society of Neuroimaging
- International League Against Epilepsy