Publications and presentations
An interprofessional consensus of core competencies for prelicensure education in pain management: curriculum application for nursing.
- Herr K, Marie BS, Gordon DB, Paice JA, Watt-Watson J, Stevens BJ, Bakerjian D, Young HM. An interprofessional consensus of core competencies for prelicensure education in pain management: curriculum application for nursing. J Nurs Educ. Jun 2015;54(6):317-27. doi: 10.3928/01484834-20150515-02.
Implementing a Paradigm Shift: Incorporating Pain Management Competencies into Pre-Licensure Curricula
This article reviews how the use of competencies creates historical context for a shift from teaching to learning and concludes with suggestions and exemplars in applying core competencies for pain management in prelicensure programs.
- Arwood E, Rowe JM, Singh NS, Carr DB, Herr KA, Chou R. Implementing a Paradigm Shift: Incorporating Pain Management Competencies into Pre-Licensure Curricula. Pain Med. Sept 2014;10.1111/pme.12563. Click here to read more.
An Interprofessional Consensus of Core Competencies for Prelicensure Education in Pain Management: Curriculum Application for Physical Therapy
A December 2013 Physical Therapy article co-authored by members of the executive committee and competency advisory committee advocates for and identifies how core competencies for pain can be applied to entry-level physical therapy curriculum.
- Hoeger Bement MK, St Marie BJ, Nordstrom TM, et al. An Interprofessional Consensus of Core Competencies for Prelicensure Education in Pain Management: Curriculum Application for Physical Therapy. Phys Ther. Dec 5 2013.
Advancing Pain Care-Core Competencies for Pain Management
Because the nature of pain is inadequately addressed as a population health problem in curricula, Kenneth Kizer, director of the Institute for Population Health Improvement at UC Davis Health and a professor at the Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing, endorses the core competencies reported by the interdisciplinary consortium in a June 2013 Pain Medicine article.
- Kizer KW. Advancing pain care--core competencies for pain management. Pain Med. Jul 2013;14(7):962-963. Click here to read more.
Commentary: Adopting Pain Management Competencies
Ian J. Koebner, faculty in the Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine at UC Davis School of Medicine, and Keela Herr, executive committee participant in the “Summit for Interprofessional Consensus on Pain Management Competencies”, wrote a commentary in the May 2013 Pain Medicine journal about the importance of adopting core competencies into practice.
- Koebner IJ, Herr K. Adopting pain management competencies. Pain Med. Jul 2013;14(7):964-965. Click here to read more.
Improving Pain Practices Through Core Competencies
Executive Committee Member for the Interprofessional Pain Management Competency Program Judy Watt-Watson wrote a May 2013 Pain Medicine commentary, “Improving Pain Practices Through Core Competencies,” expressing the need to integrate competency-based pain education into curricula.
- Watt-Watson J, Siddall PJ. Improving pain practices through core competencies. Pain Med. Jul 2013;14(7):966-967. Click here to read more.
Core Competencies for Pain Management: Results of an Interprofessional Consensus Summit
An April 2013 Pain Medicine article written by UC Davis faculty and experts from around the globe describes the development of core competencies in pain management education for new health professionals.
- Fishman SM, Young HM, Lucas Arwood E, et al. Core competencies for pain management: results of an interprofessional consensus summit. Pain Med. Jul 2013;14(7):971-981. Click here to read the full article.
American Academy of Pain Medicine 31st Annual Meeting
Title: Primary Care Centers of Excellence in Pain Management Through Tele-Mentoring
Date: March 19, 2015
Authors: Scott M. Fishman, David J. Copenhaver, Robert McCarron, Jennifer Mongoven
IASP 2014 World Congress on Pain
Title: Interprofessional Pain Education: Core Curriculum, Core Competencies and Evaluation Methods
Dates: Oct. 6, 2014 - Oct. 11, /2014
Conference location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Presenter: Scott M. Fishman
American Society of Pain Management Nursing 24th Annual National Conference
Title: Pain Management Nursing Core Competencies
Dates: Sept. 17-20, 2014
Conference location: San Diego
Authors: Keela Herr, Heather M. Young, Barbara St. Marie, Debra Gordon, Judith Paice, Scott M. Fishman
33rd Annual Scientific Meeting of the American Pain Society
Title: Pain Education in the U.S.: Medical and Nursing Schools
Dates: 4/30/2014 - 5/3/2014
Conference location: Tampa, Fla.
Presenter: Jennifer Mongoven
Learn Serve Lead: The AAMC 2013 Annual Meeting
Title:Consensus-Based Core Competencies for Pain Management in Medical Education
Dates: 11/1/2013 - 11/6/2013
Conference location: Philadelphia, Pa.
Authors: Scott M. Fishman, Heather M. Young, Daniel B. Carr and Beth B. Murinson
American Interprofessional Health Collaborative: Collaborating Across Borders (Cab) IV Conference
Title: Interprofessional consensus on pain management competencies for prelicensure health care providers
Conference location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Dates: 6/12/2013 - 6/14/2013
Authors: Molly Courtenay, Ian Koebner, Scott M. Fishman, Heather M. Young, Ellyn Arwood, Roger Chou, Keela A. Herr, Beth Murinson, Judy Watt-Watson and Jennifer Mongoven
American Academy of Pain Medicine Annual Conference
Title: Core Pain Management Competencies for Health Professional Students
Conference Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Dates: 4/11/2013 - 4/13/2013
Authors: Naileshni Singh, Scott M. Fishman, Heather M. Young, Ellyn Arwood, Roger Chou, Keela A. Herr, Beth Murinson, Judy Watt-Watson, Ian Koebner and Jennifer Mongoven
Western Institute of Nursing
Title: Prelicensure Pain Management Competencies
Conference Location: Los Angeles, CA
Dates: 4/10/2013 – 4/13/2013
Authors: Jennifer Mongoven, Heather M. Young, Scott M. Fishman and Debra Bakerjian
Tufts University School of Medicine Annual Sackler Lecture
Title: Interprofessional and Competency-Based Education: Core Competencies for Pain Management
Conference location: Boston, MA
Presenter: Scott M. Fishman