for preserving work and home life
- Be honest about your professional and personal needs.
- Review the leave section of your department’s compensation plan.
- Talk with your department chair.
- Participate in ongoing faculty evaluations of the work environment at UC Davis – an important way to continually evolve the institution’s advancement and leave policies.
- Visit the website of the UC Davis School of Medicine Office of Academic Personnel: http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/academicpersonnel/academicleaves.html
Common myths about work-life balance policies
1) Faculty have to “repay” time spent on leave.
2) Work-life policies are just for women
3) Work-life policies are just about childbirth or child care